STREAMING
PRESENTED BY
3pm-7pm
Social

YouTube removes Logan Paul from Google ad platform, original series

Photo: Scott Kirkland/FOX(LOS ANGELES) — YouTube has taken steps to discipline star Logan Paul after the disturbing video he posted last month, which included images of an alleged suicide victim in Japan.

Paul was removed from Google Preferred, a premier ad service that offers brand advertisers access to top YouTube producers.

The company also said he will not be featured on season 4 of the original YouTube series Foursome, and said “his new Originals are on hold.” Paul had been set to star in the YouTube movie, The Thinning: New World Order, a sequel to the company’s 2016 release with Paul. The movie had begun filming in November 2017.

YouTube is owned by Google, and creators like Paul earn money through Google’s advertising services.

On Tuesday, YouTube released a statement on its Twitter page indicating Paul would be penalized for sharing the inappropriate video with his 15 million subscribers. “The channel violated our community guidelines, we acted accordingly, and we are looking at further consequences,” the statement reads.

On January 3, three days after posting the video, Paul announced on Twitter that he was stepping away from posting videos “for now,” and “taking time to reflect.”

Paul received swift backlash after he posted a video December 31 of him in Aokigahara, a forest near Mount Fuji, Japan, known colloquially as the “suicide forest,” showing what appeared to be a body hanging from a tree.

The video was viewed 6 million times before being removed from Paul’s YouTube channel.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Comments